Judo "the gentle way" would be a perfect choice for your child.
Waverley Judo is a family oriented club of many friends.
Our emphasis is on mobility, flexibility, fitness and fun.
We strive to help kids of all ages achieve higher levels of fitness and confidence as well as self-discipline and respect for oneself and others.
Through Judo, we teach the use of balance, leverage, and movement in order to perform throws and other skills to control your opponent.
We encourage technique and timing, instead of the use of brute strength.
Judo training emphasises mental, ethical and character development as much as physical training.
George 0425 861 009
Mt Waverley Youth Club
45 Miller Crescent
2018 Training dates
Last training day 2018 - December 13th
Start training 2019 - January 14th
Mondays and Thursdays
Closed Public Holidays
5.00 PM Suits 5-9 y.o. children
6:00 PM Suits 10-14 y.o. kids
7:00 PM Suits Teenagers and Adults
Judo is many things to different people. It is a sport, a recreational or social activity, a fitness program, a means of self-defence, and a way of life. It is all of these and more.
Judo was introduced into the Olympic Games in 1964 and is practiced by millions of people throughout the world. People practice Judo to excel in competition, to develop self-confidence, to stay in shape and for many other reasons. But most of all, people do Judo just for the fun of it.
Judo is best known for its spectacular throwing techniques but also involves considerable grappling on the ground utilising specialised pins, control holds, arm locks, and choking techniques.
Judo develops self-discipline and respect for oneself and others. Judo provides the means for learning self-confidence, concentration, and leadership skills, as well as physical coordination, power, and flexibility.
As a sport that has evolved from a fighting art, it develops complete body control, fine balance, and fast reflexes. Above all, it develops a sharp reacting mind well-coordinated with the same kind of body.
Judo training gives a person an effective self-defence system if the need arises.
Judo, which is translated as the "gentle way", teaches the principle of flexibility in the application of technique. This is the efficient use of balance, leverage, and movement in the performance of Judo throws and other skills.
Skill, technique and timing, rather than the use of brute strength, are the essential ingredients for success in Judo. For example, in Judo classes you may learn how to give way, rather than use force, to overcome a stronger opponent.
Meet The Coaches
The JVI is an association incorporated under the Victorian Incorporated Associations Act. It is the official member of the Judo Federation of Australia Inc (SA) in Victoria and hence is the link to Olympic games, Commonwealth games and World Championships.
The JVI conducts numerous tournaments for both Shiai and Kata (including the Southern Cross International Open Championships, Judo Masters In Melbourne, Victorian State Championships – see the calendar section for upcoming tournament details), ratifies grades, conducts coaching clinics for the award of National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) licences, conducts clinics and licences referees, maintains an elite athlete training squad and selects teams to compete in the National Championships.
The benefits of being a member of Judo Victoria Incorporated
- Affiliation with the Australian Olympic Committee and International Judo Federation (IJF) allowing qualified representation at Olympic and Paralympic Games, World Championships and other internationally recognised IJF World Tour events.
- Membership with the Judo Federation of Australia and Oceania Judo Union allowing qualified representation at National and Continental Union events.
- Member benefits of an organization governed and managed that promotes a fair, safe, drug free environment for its members. This includes values and practices promoted and funded by the Australian Sports Commission including; National Coaching Accreditation, Member Protection, and Anti Doping.
- Access to funded High Performance, National Talent Identification and Junior Development Programs for elite athletes promoting optimal athlete performance at international level.
- Participation in Tournaments, Technical Courses and Training Camps promoting best practice coaching and training strategies delivered by a range of internationally recognised judo experts.
- Member policy and program structure and support ensuring standards expected in Australian society. This includes National and Victoria focused; Competition Sporting Codes, Grading policy and procedures, Refereeing standards, and Member Protection policy and procedures to deal fairly with conflict resolution issues.
- Open access to Victorian and National websites to keep members informed on judo news, event calendars, tournament results, policies and procedures.
- Access to Victorian and National judo publications, grading certificates and merchandise.
- Access to a national insurance program providing extensive liability and personal accident coverage for member clubs and individuals.
Free One Week Trial for BEGINNERS
Call George on 0425 861 009 to book your
free trial with Waverley Judo.
Alternatively fill out the form below for more details.